Friday, September 10, 2010

Stock up and Save!

When I was about 13 years old I became obsessed with store circulars that come in the Sunday newspaper--especially those for drugstores like CVS, Walgreens, etc. So many things on sale!

It is here that I learned the wonderful concept of "stock up and save". You could pay half price on staples like toothpaste and toilet paper--only catch, you had to buy half a dozen.

I remember being a teenager and wondering why do home pregnancy tests go on sale? Stock up and save on home pregnancy tests? Since when are HPTs "staples"? That sounded like only something promiscuous girls would find to be a great bargain.

Some context to help you: I was a very sheltered child. In my pea-sized brain, one (usually a teenage girl) bought a home pregnancy test because she was "late". No one ever hoped the test would be positive. Positive results were always feared.

Fast-forward 15 years: The store circular obsession continues and I still consider "reading the paper" to be thumping through the circulars to see this week's deals. However, over the last few years I raced to the "feminine" section of the flyer hoping ovulation predictor kits and home pregnancy tests were on sale. Unlike the teenage girls, I prayed I'd get a positive result. Home testing kits have become a staple in my house.

For the first time last night, I used an HPT and got the result I had been wanting for years. Yes, I had already had two beta tests which showed positive but I peed on a stick for the ceremonial aspect.

I danced into the living room and showed Max the stick. We squealed with joy and took pictures of it. It wasn't exactly as I had fantasized (since we knew the answer) but fun nonetheless.

I'll probably still continue to buy HPTs when they are a good price because I think they have a long shelf life.

3 comments:

  1. Love that new photo in your side-bar. Hopefully you'll be stocking up on other types of supplies in a few more months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! :) Isn't it the best feeling??? Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooo excited for you!! YAY!! What wonderful news!! How cute that you POAS just to see it positive...I always wanted to do that when I first got pregnant with my daughter after my positive beta but never did. ;-)

    ReplyDelete