Sunday, August 22, 2010

Dozen Minus One

Yesterday's egg retrieval went much better than I imagined. When I woke up I feared the day would never end.

Keeping our sense of humor even in the most stressful of situations we joked that it was a good thing we were the only retrieval of the day so there wouldn't be opportunity for a mix up.

As expected the worst part for me was the IV. No, I still haven't gotten used to being picked and prodded. After some whimpering I let the nurse do her job. I was ready for the meds!

My husband, Max, was with me until it was time to do the procedure. He knows (and most importantly, likes) the anesthesiologist that was assigned. That comforted me greatly. It was probably a bit awkward for Max since he operates with him often and Max (like me) has kept this journey a secret at work. For the first time I felt the benefit of switching to an RE department at his own hospital. I suddenly became calmer...or was that the drugs?

The last thing I remember before going under was the burning in my arms from the propofol. The first thing I said when I woke up was "Did I snore?" I repeated that several times. For some reason I was really concerned that maybe I had. Interestingly enough, I'm not a snorer--just s sleeptalker.

A dozen eggs were retrieved. A dozen!!! Eight wasn't enough--my ovaries decided to sprout a few more. We did a 50/50 split ICSI and natural.

Early this morning we were awakened by a nurse calling with our preliminary fertilization report. Eleven eggs were fertilized! One of the ICSI eggs didn't make it. We were very happy with that yield. Hopefully they will survive the next few days.

I know the journey is far from over but I got good news today. That good news had me giddy all day. For the first time in two years of being labeled infertile for unknown reasons, I feel like I got answers, or the beginnings of answers. I do have eggs! Now the next question that will be answered once and for all.....ARE THEY ROTTEN??? The quest continues....

6 comments:

  1. Wow, 12 is fantastic and for 11 of them to fertilise is just wonderful! You must be over the moon! I hope they carry on going strong for you! When I had egg collection I was awake and just had pain relief and it was awful so I envy you your going under. GOOD LUCK!!!

    ICLW#10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. Eleven fertilised is a fantastic number! I will be waiting to hear how the little ones progress over the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! 11 out of 12 fertilized!! That's pretty incredible! I never got those odds!! I'd say you those eggs are far from rotten!! Congratulations & Good luck at the transfer! I will check back in on you!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I just added your link! Happy ICLW! (#119 & 120)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is AWESOME!!!!! Kepping my fingers crossed! Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your encouragement. I am hopeful the 11 will do well. I'll know more tomorrow. We would love a large family and hopefully we're on our way!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 11!! That's an amazing fertilisation rate! Surely there must be some fantastic embryos in that group. All the best for transer and beyond.

    ReplyDelete